Monday, July 19, 2010

Finally figured it out

Over the weekend I finally got it through my mind. It's me. I have the problem. I am the one with the hang up just like other supporters had told me that they went through. It is as though I have had an epiphany. I am the one who is letting the helmet block me. My mom and I talked while she was here and the helmet was still in process. It is my business and I choose who i share it with and no matter what those that DO love us and DO care about us will be with us through the whole process. The helmet does not change who Nolan is or how much we love him. It is purely a procedure that we have committed to in order to make his head round.

For those who may judge or say things and even think things but do not necessarily tell me. He is a perfect little boy who has met or been ahead of all of his milestones. Holding his head up was the first one that ever came across as on time or concerning. The helmet in no way affects his mental capacity or means that he is slow by any means. From speaking with other moms, it could be a possibility that his crawling may not occur as early as it would have because the helmet does weigh 7-8 ounces, which may not seem like a lot but to a very tiny body it is. At first i was upset about this but i will just take it as it comes. Every baby grows and develops in different ways and I am still going to be right by his side helping him reach those milestones when its age appropriate.

All in all, I was the one with the problem. I am the one who has to overcome this and all I can do is know that I am doing what is right for him and I will get through this one day at a time. If you know anyone who has Plagio or just been diagnosed, please do not make light of it. It is serious, it is a hardship and they need your support more then they may let on. The worst thing to say to a parent of plagio in my opinion is "at least it isn't something worse". I have had 3 people (that's not many considering not many know), yes I am glad it isn't something terrible but this is not something I would ever expect to look for. It is very expensive, hard on the child and parent, and can cause asymmetry in the face. That is nothing to take lightly. In fact a majority of the children with plagio have asymmetry. Nolan does with his ears. His is very very small and will be corrected with the helmet but if you let it go long enough it may not be corrected. So please be kind to those who have plagio kids and please understand that it IS something serious.

1 comment:

  1. That's great Stacy! What a positive attitude and I'm glad you 'figured it all out'
    Please let me know if I can do anything to help you (and Nolan) as the process continues!

    ReplyDelete